Tuesday 16 September 2014

Milwaukee Brewers @ St Louis Cardinals (game 1)

The first game of this series was a tight affair, with only a few runs scoring.  Lance Lynn was starting for the St Louis Cardinals as they tried to increase their lead in the NL Central.

My seat was in the dugout box, the 4th row from the front, down the first base line, in the bit of the stands that juts out a bit.  In the first inning, Jonathan Lucroy, the Brewers' catcher, hit a foul ball that came towards my area very fast, and hit about a couple of metres away from my seat, a couple of rows back.  You definitely have to pay attention in these seats, because the ball can come very quickly.

This game was much more like you expect a National League game - pretty quick.  The problem was that although the Cardinals took a 2-1 lead into the 9th inning, Trevor Rosenthal gave up a run to allow Milwaukee to draw level.

It was getting quite chilly by this time, as the temperature dropped to around 12C/52F, so I was pleased that I had taken my coat to wear, although my legs were getting a little chilly.  As usually happens when games go into extra innings, people started leaving as they have to get up for work or school the next day, so when the Brewers pushed across a run in the top of the 12th inning, I and a lot of other people were hoping that the Cards would score 0 or 2 in the bottom of the 12th so we could all go home.  They got 0, although it was close with a couple of balls caught in the deep.

I walked back to the hotel, back the way I had come, although it didn't seem nearly as far on the way back.  That's probably because on the way there, I went to Joe Buck's restaurant, which is a little bit further along next to the stadium, and had a typical St Louis meal: BBQ ribs.

No comments:

Post a Comment