Thursday 18 September 2014

Toronto Blue Jays @ New York Yankees (game 1)

I had to queue a little to pick up my tickets are Yankee Stadium, and in the end, I didn't need my receipt that I had brought just in case they couldn't find my tickets!  Then I was able to pretty much walk straight in, which was unusual.  So, as I was hot, I bought an ice cream and went to my seat which was done the 3rd base line.  I've been in the area of section 130 before and it's quite comfortable, but you do have to look at an angle to watch play.  I also find it much harder to keep track of the game from such a distance.  However, it's amazing how close you really are to the fielders.

Anybody visiting the stadium this year could have been forgiven for thinking that the New York Yankees are a one-man team.  The team store has one tiny out-of-the-way corner containing jerseys for some of the star players, and the rest of the store is devoted to merchandise featuring Derek Jeter, who will be retiring at the end of the season.

This game was tight all the way with good pitching and good fielding, and I saw something that's a been a rarity this year: a Derek Jeter home run.  The crowd went absolutely nuts, as you might imagine, and then he nearly hit another later in the game.  The Yankees held on to win 5-3 and take the opening game of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment