Wednesday 17 September 2014

Union Station

Today, I went for lunch in the restaurant at Cardinal Nation, which is just beyond centre field at Busch Stadium.  There were a few other people in there, mostly dressed in Cardinal red outfits, as indeed were many of the people outside the stadium who were clearly there for the day to visit and catch the game in the evening.  The food was more gastro-pub than full-on restaurant, which was good as it was a lot cheaper than many of the dinners that I've been having!

Afterwards, I took the metro into town to see Union Station.  It's no longer a railway station, but a monument.  Sadly, many of the retail units seem to be empty nowadays and there weren't many people there at all.  After reading all the plaques about the history of the station, the largest ever constructed, I looked around outside where they have a pond that's full of fish!  As I walked along the boardwalk they seemed to follow me, looking up hoping for food.



Later on, I took the metro back to Laclede's Landing to have a look at the river.  When I came out, I discovered that the metro exit was right near to my hotel - up a bit of a hill.  So I needn't have walked so far through the rain on Tuesday night to get to the hotel from the previous stop on the line - this one is much much closer!

You can see the arch from the metro station, although I have to get back to my hotel to pick up my ticket and get down to the game now.

No comments:

Post a Comment